Document rendition and resolve error
In this article
This article is relevant for:
Committee Manager, Convenor & support teams
When uploading a document, 5 types of renditions are possible:
- None: the document will keep its original format. It is recommended to use this for archives (e.g. Zip, RAR formats), codes snippets (e.g. HTML files) or graphics (e.g. AI, photoshop files).
- PDF Rendition without Coversheet: the document will be simply converted in PDF (supported document types are PDF, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- PDF Rendition with Coversheet: the document will be converted in PDF and the ISO Coversheet will be appended at the beginning of the document.
- PDF Rendition with N-number stamp: the document will be converted in PDF, and its N-number will be stamped at the top right-hand corner of each page
- Coversheet only: this option will generate a standalone Coversheet page using the document's metadata and description field (if any document is uploaded, the latter will be ignored). One could use this option to post an announcement for committee members.
If a rendition is selected, the document will take several seconds to render. While rendering, the status of the document will be Rendition. Once rendered the status should change to To be notified. If you have a status Rendition Failed this means your selected rendition is not adapted to the document format.
PDF rendition supports PDF, Microsoft Word (docx), Excel, Powerpoint (pptx) and images
The following formats are not supported for rendition and their original format must be maintained:
- Protected files
- Zip files
- Older Microsoft Word documents (.doc)
- Other Microsoft Powerpoint formats (.pptm etc.)
The PDF conversion of Microsoft Excel files does not adjust the layout depending on the content of the file. Similar to the work necessary for printing a Microsoft Excel, there is not perfect default layout setup for all Excel files. It is therefore highly recommended to set the rendition option to None when uploading Excel files so that the downloaded document can be read properly.
This is one of the 5 different rendition options. This option is quite particular because it ignores any file uploaded; it only generates a standalone Coversheet page using the Coversheet template and the different metadata and description given during document creation.
This option would be mainly used for sending a brief communication or announcement to the committee members (e.g.experts nomination, establishment of working groups, start of a ballot etc..)
The advantage of using "Coversheet only" vs. using "Email to Members" to circulate these announcements are that they are N-numbered. Therefore they are easily identifiable, and traceable if one needs to refer back to it in the future.
Resolve rendition error
Your document has been uploaded but there has been an issue with the PDF rendition, i.e. you uploaded a document type that is not supported by the PDF rendition such as ZIP file. To correct this, click on Edit metadata, and at the bottom of the form change the Rendition to None.
for more information about updating the metadata of a document, please refer to the related article at the bottom of this page.
If the Rendition process has stuck for another reason, you can always restart it by clicking on the Restart rendition icon. If you still encounter a Rendition issue after having changed the Rendition type, please contact the ISO helpdesk
Disable online reading
In some particular cases when the document online reading can be misleading (i.e. Excel file not showing all columns properly), the author of a document can deactivate the online rendition to avoid confusion. Instead of the document content a message will indicate that the document should be downloaded instead.
To disable the online reading, on the document page, from the top left corner, click the Disable preview button.